Beginning October 31 (for Reformation Sunday!) we will go to one 10:00am worship service, which you can participate in on zoom or indoors, in-person. Please read on for the details:
In person, indoors:
- All participants (over the age of 2 – see health order) aside from some worship leaders will be required to wear masks except when receiving communion.
- We’ll sit six feet from those not in our family, unless they give us permission to sit closer. This is actually a safety advantage over worship outside, where there wasn’t as much room to spread out – or a sound system so you could hear from far away.
- We’ll keep the space ventilated. We are fortunate to actually have windows and doors we can open in the sanctuary. It will be chilly on some mornings, so bring a jacket.
- We’ll try to keep the service at about 50 minutes, somewhere between what 8:30 and 10:30 worshippers were used to the last time we were indoors. It’s safer to spend less time in an environment with singing, and long services can be difficult for those on zoom.
- Besides the presider, we’ll ask readers, singers and other worship leaders to be in person. You won’t be on camera if you’re sitting in the pews.
- You’ll join using the same link as before. There will be slides with lyrics and art, just as you’re used to. The difference will be that the readings, sermon, music will all come from the sanctuary (rather than different locations).
- People appreciated that zoom allowed us not just to watch a service, but to chime in and experience some sense of community. We have two pastors! So the one who isn’t presiding will be in the parlor and serve as “zoom host” during the service, greeting people at the beginning and end, including children. The presider will be able to see and include prayer requests submitted on “chat.”
- Zoom participants are invited to meet with pastors later on in the day or week to receive communion.
Other important information, considerations:
Adult forum will continue to be on zoom at 8:30 at this point, but in a few weeks will probably move to 9 and be both in-person and on zoom.
After worship there will be a reception – which we’ll try to do outside (masks optional) when we can, and in-person Sunday School.
We’ll need to be a bit legalistic for Lutherans. We are promising to those who come in-person that there will be certain safety measures in place. It can be disappointing when what happens isn’t what was promised. We’ll all work together to make the experience safe for everyone.