In 1920, the Augustana Synod (then the Swedish branch of the Lutheran Church) established a congregation in Palo Alto, California, as a mission to Swedish immigrants living in the area. By 1925, the congregation was able to build a church and fellowship hall on the corner of Homer Avenue and Webster Street.
The names of the original members were all recognizably Swedish: Carlson, Johnson, Swanson, Trodson, Pearson. Now our congregation includes names from many different cultures: Haletky, Hariguchi, Barich, Leong and many more. We welcome people of all cultural and religious backgrounds, races, and gender orientations.
Our congregation has roots in Lutheran faith traditions, but we express and discuss a variety of beliefs as well as contemporary issues. Our style of worship is based on the traditional ecumenical and Lutheran liturgies with frequent variations and forays into folk and comtemporary modes. Excellence in music is always a focus.